Eco-communities as a social vision

Eco-communities as a social vision
Egalitarian and ecological communities, like the pictured East Wind (www.eastwind.org), are very close to our vision of an ecological society

02 October, 2007

Shapes of Things by The Yardbirds, 1966




Shapes of things before my eyes,
Just teach me to despise.
Will time make men more wise?
Here within my lonely frame,
My eyes just hurt my brain.
But will it seem the same?

Come tomorrow, will I be older?
Come tomorrow, may be a soldier.
Come tomorrow, may I be bolder than today?

Now the trees are almost green.
But will they still be seen?
When time and tide have been.
Fall into your passing hands.
Please don't destroy these lands.
Don't make them desert sands.

Chorus, Lead.

Soon I hope that I will find,
Thoughts deep within my mind.
That won't disgrace my kind.



Going back to 1965, for a famous and important song by Yardbirds, that escaped us, with clearly stated concern about the impeding environmental destruction.

From wikipedia:

The Yardbirds are a British rock band, noted for starting the careers of three of rock's most famous guitarists: Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page. A blues-based band whose sound evolved into experimental pop rock, they had a string of hits including “For Your Love”, “Over, Under, Sideways, Down” and “Heart Full Of Soul”. They were a crucial link between British R&B and psychedelia; their guitarists were extremely influential in music. The Yardbirds were pioneers in almost every guitar innovation of the '60s: fuzz tone, feedback, distortion, improved amplification, and were one of the first to put an emphasis on complex lead guitar parts and experimentation.


You can hear this song in youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUZg6VHfcLM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTO7WVxjz3A

and the famous cover in 80s by Gary Moore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Ida73phAE

No comments: