Eco-communities as a social vision

Eco-communities as a social vision
Egalitarian and ecological communities, like the pictured East Wind (www.eastwind.org), are very close to our vision of an ecological society

27 October, 2008

10000 maniacs (1987), (1989)

A Campfire Song by 10,000 Maniacs, album: In my tribe (1987)

A lie to say,
"Oh my mountain has coal veins and beds to dig.
500 men with axes and they all dig for me."

A lie to say, "Oh my river where many fish do swim,
half of the catch is mine when you haul your nets in."

Never will he believe that his greed is a blinding ray.
No devil or redeemer will cheat him.
He'll take his gold to where he's lying cold.

A lie to say, "O my mine gave a diamond as big as a fist."
But with every gem in his pocket, the jewels he has missed.

A lie to say, "O my garden is growing taller by the day."
He only eats the best and tosses the rest away.

Never will he be believe that his greed is a blinding ray.
No devil or redeemer can cheat him.
He'll take his gold to where he's lying cold. Six deep in the grave.

Something is out of reach
something he wanted
something is out of reach
he's being taunted
something is out of reach
that he can' beg or steal nor can he buy

his oldest pain
and fear in life
there'll not be time

A lie to say "O my forest has trees that block the sun
and when I cut them down I don't answer to anyone."

No, no, never will he believe that his greed is a blinding ray
no devil or redeemer can cheat him.
He'll take his gold where he's lying cold.



A song that depicts the predecence of greed at the expense of environmental protection, sustainability and saving of natural sources



“Poison in the well” by 10000 maniacs, album: Blind man’s zoo (1989)


Tell me what’s gone wrong.
I tilt my head there, under the faucet, but when I turn it on -- dry as paper.
Call the neighbors.
Who’s to blame for what’s going on?
In the dark without a clue I’m just the same as you.

O, they tell us there’s poison in the well,
That someone’s been a bit untidy and there’s been a small spill.
Not a lot, no, just a drop.
But there you are mistaken, you know you are.
I wonder just how long they knew our well was poisoned but they let us just drink on.

O, they tell us there’s poison in the well,
That someone’s been a bit untidy and there’s been a small spill.
All that it amounts to is a tear in a salted sea.
Someone’s been a bit untidy, they’ll have it cleaned up in a week.
But the week is over and now its grown into years since I was told that I should be calm, there’s nothing to fear here.
But I drank that water for years, my wife and my children.

Tell me, where to now, if your fight for a bearable life can be fought and lost in you backyard?

O, don’t tell us there’s poison in the well,
That someone’s been a bit untidy, that there’s been a small spill.
All that it amounts to is a tear in a salted sea.
Someone’s been a bit untidy, they’ll have it cleaned up in a week.


A song about the common cases of poisoning water supply of whole towns by corporations or industries and the efforts to be kept in secret, exposing to health hazards thousands of residents.

You can hear A Campfire song in youtube

1 comment:

kamagra online said...

Nice poem post here..Thanks for sharing..Keep posting..