Eco-communities as a social vision

Eco-communities as a social vision
Egalitarian and ecological communities, like the pictured East Wind (www.eastwind.org), are very close to our vision of an ecological society

26 September, 2008

"What I've done" by Linkin Park, album: Minutes to Midnight (2007)


In this farewell
there's no blood
there's no alibi

coz I've drawn regret
from the truth of thousand lies
So let mercy come
and wash away

[chorus]
What I've done
I face myself
to cross-out what I've become
erase myself
and let go of what I've done

Put to rest
what you've thought of me

Well I clean this slate
with the hands of uncertainty
So let mercy come
and wash away

[chorus]
What I've done
I face myself
to cross-out what I've become
erase myself
and let go of what I've done

For what I've done
I start again
and whatever pain may come
today this ends
I’m forgiving what I've done
I face myself
to cross-out what I've become
erase myself
and let go of what I've done

What I've done

What I've done

Forgiving what I've done


Lyrics of general thematology that can be interpreted as environmental, a sudden self-awareness of oneself's personal footprint facing an environmental impact of billions of such human actions. Taking into account album title this is quite sure. The album title refers to the concept of Doomsday Clock. We read in wikipedia:

The Doomsday Clock is a symbolic clock face, maintained since 1947 by the board of directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists at the University of Chicago, that uses the analogy of the human race being at a time that is "minutes to midnight", wherein midnight represents "catastrophic destruction". Originally, the analogy represented the threat of global nuclear war, but since includes climate-changing technologies and "new developments in the life sciences and nanotechnology that could inflict irrevocable harm".

Since its inception, the clock has appeared on every cover of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. Its first representation was in 1947, when magazine co-founder Hyman Goldsmith asked artist Martyl Langsdorf (wife of Manhattan Project physicist Alexander Langsdorf, Jr.) to design a cover for the magazine's June 1947 issue.

The number of minutes before midnight – measuring the degree of nuclear, environmental, and technological threats to mankind – is periodically corrected; currently, the clock reads five minutes to midnight, having advanced two minutes on 17 January 2007
The videoclip of this song has also clear environmental messages picturing a variety of circumstances that do harm to environment and humanity, as you can see it in youtube

No comments: